Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Daily Story 35: Proof of Concept

I'm still shaking and disoriented from the accident in the lab.

The bus is hot and stuffy; I don't really know why I got on. There's a man in the back with a wild beard and nervous twitch staring at me, giggling quietly to himself, and it hits me that if someone were to strike up a conversation with the two of us, I would be the one that came off as crazy.

The problem with this scenario is that I'm not a scientist. I'm in way over my head, and I don't really have any clue how to proceed. I'm dizzy and a little nauseous, and my skin tingles - it makes it hard to think clearly. I rest my head against the disgusting glass and look out at the city as it goes by, the people wearing too-bright outfits and talking on cell phones huge like bricks.

I try to take stock, but there's so little that I have. No electronics allowed in the lab, so I don't have my computer or phone. My credit cards are worthless, and my paper money looks fake. What does that leave? The clothes on my back. A bus transfer from this current trip, now seeming like a waste of my only old dollar bills.

I signal for a stop, looking around at the old neighborhood. It's quiet, the kids are in school for another hour. The bus hisses as the doors slide open, and I walk out with one last glance at the man in the back. He nods knowingly at me, like we're in this together. The bus spews out a dark cloud and rumbles on its way, leaving me to walk the last few blocks to my parent's house.

As soon as I see it I know why I got on the bus. I know what I have to do.

If this hadn't been an accident I could have made a list of things to accomplish, but as it is I have just this one goal. As I said, I'm not a scientist; I have limited options, limited imagination. So, step one: confirm my goal is even realistic. I reach my parent's house and it's just like I remember, the personalized mailbox hanging crooked by the door and the bougainvillea slowly overtaking the windows.

The key is right where it always was, under a smooth rock. The door creaks open and I smell them again, smell my old home... I don't even know what it is, some strange combination of mom's cooking, and the laundry detergent we used, and the guinea pigs. It smells like heaven.

I step into my old bedroom, carefully climbing over the clothes and toys. My brother's bed is next to mine and I feel tears welling up as I look at the sheets, still rumpled from him tossing and turning. Images of his funeral swim through my head, but I take a deep breath and focus. Marcus comes later. For now, I'm still on step one. Find something unique.

The mug he made in art class is lying on a shelf. That hideous little thing, warped and fragile. The handle is so small that even a child couldn't reasonably hold on to it in the normal way, and there's a hole near the bottom of the mug so even if you wanted to you could never drink out of it. Still, I had kept it and it traveled with me to college in my box of miscellaneous junk. My senior year it had fallen out of my window and broken on the sidewalk below, nearly hitting my English teacher who had already made it clear he didn't like me.

I take it, leaving everything else as it is. I lock the door, replace the key, and head for the nearby field that, this morning, had been a grocery store. Prying a jagged stone loose from the dirt I smash the mug, beat on it until it's little more than powder.

Nothing happens. The universe continues, unconcerned, and now I know the future can be changed. Time for step two.

13 comments:

  1. I really liked this...really.

    Thought I'd point out a typo (unless it was deliberate) in the first sentence of the second-to-last paragraph: "I take the it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Fixed. It was originally "I take the mug" but then the word 'mug' was there too often. Thanks for the catch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this story but for some reason I did not understand the end. Nothing happens. The universe continues, unconcerned, and now I know the future can be changed. why if nothing happened did he know the future could be changed???

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's gone back in time, to when he was a kid. He remembers having that mug all the way through college and breaking it there, and it's something there can't be two of.

    So now that he's broken it, it can't possibly go to college with him and almost fall on his teacher, so therefore it's possible for him to change the future.

    The idea is to change something small first, just to test.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 28, 2009

    I love this story, excellent inspiration. I'm curious though, did his memory change to reflect the now-altered future past? I'd guess his memories have changed to the mug disappearing in his childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, there's no reason for his memory to change - that's still his memory even if it won't happen that way to the other version of him.

    In fact, he'll continue to exist and remember everything the same even if the other (younger) him never goes back in time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 29, 2009

    Bah! Bah, I say. Damn fractured realities. It's much more interesting if changing your past affects you (in the past) who is actually still you. And isn't that the reason we can travel through time, to make things interesting (and fun)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fine for making a story more fun, but from a logical standpoint there's no reason to have the 'old' him change and in fact it creates a total mess. Of course, I'm all for ignoring that if it makes fiction more interesting but I have to insist that yours is the version that is 'fractured'.

    Think of it like a gun firing a shot. If you change (or destroy) the gun after it goes off, the bullet doesn't care.

    I think my issue is that if it DOES change you (from the future, in the past) it should be absolute - which in most cases means undoing the change, which would mean re-doing the change, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 30, 2009

    I agree that if he alters his past self in any way it will most likely mean he wouldn't end up traveling back in time to do that same act, but there's a chance he will. And his consciousness will follow the version of reality in which he does that.

    If changing his past doesn't actually change his past, what's the point? The premise of this story is that he's going back in time to do something, and this is step one. What's the point if it doesn't affect his reality? Or does he plan to live in this time with a knowledge of the future, at least until his actions change that future?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "And his consciousness will follow the version of reality..."

    That line confuses me. Are you suggesting that he'll remember doing things he never did in addition to the things he did do? That doesn't make any sense to me.

    As far as the point goes, his past is gone. What he can do now is make sure the new timeline doesn't follow that same path. And yeah, he's stuck there. Not sure what he'll do since he can't go by his real name/info... I guess he'll have to do whatever it is undocumented immigrants do to find work and shelter... or he could get some help from his family if he doesn't think they'll be too freaked out.

    Incidentally, even if he did find a way to go back to the future there would probably be two of him at this point because the 'new' version of him is unlikely to go back in time now that his life has been altered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJuly 31, 2009

    I was looking at it from the perspective that there is only one timeline. Any version of you at another point in it is you, shared memories etc.

    I see that it couldn't work that way in this story, because he wouldn't remember taking the sculpture to college like he did since he never would have.

    I like your explanation the best! Thanks for the discussion, this also helps me understand the battery duping time machine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! Yeah, that's another story that uses the same model. I may have to write up some rants on my issues with traditional time-travel logic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love a time travel rant.

    ReplyDelete