Monday, July 27, 2009

Daily Story 103: The Good Mechanic

Finny just keeps inventing things, and I can't be bothered to try and stop him anymore - the damage is done already anyway. The whole West end of the island is covered in a giant machine now, one that sucks in the air to clean it and eats up the dirt to make it into metal. It swallows a little more of the land every day and sooner or later we'll all just be inside the device. I see Finny working on it sometimes, so small on those giant tanks and pipes. His twelfth birthday had to have passed not too long ago, but I guess we all forgot.

Over on the East end of the island we try not to think about him much; we work on our gardens and trade things back and forth and hide when Finny's robots come to drop off supplies they've made. We've fallen into a comforting kind of rut, made a life for ourselves here. We go to the edge of the island at night, have parties while we look out at the fading lights in the clouds. There's a platform there and a band gets up on it to play, and everyone dances and drinks and falls asleep laughing and crying. Sometimes someone jumps off.

Everyone knows that that platform has a twin, at the opposite end under the machines. There used to be a barn that belonged to Finny's parents, and the platform was built in there two years ago by Finny's older brother Tom - he was Finny's muscle, before the robots. That day, when Finny turned on his invention in the barn, Tom was waiting five miles away next to the platform we use now as a stage. The tip of his shoe came with us to wherever we are; it sat right at the edge of the island. If Tom had been standing a little closer he might have been cut in half, but as it is he just lost the very tip of his big toe - as far as we can tell.

I talked to Finny about it, back when it first happened. He said it was supposed to be a teleporter, that it should have sent him from one platform to the other. Instead it took all of us, an oval of land that floats in nothingness while the rest of the world goes on without us somewhere. Finny feels bad, but he's most worried about Tom. He spends his time building and inventing just in the hopes they'll see each other again. I don't have the heart to say it out loud but I'm sure it'll never happen.

Finny isn't a genius, he's magic. What he does isn't science. He thinks it is, but I've looked at the robots and other things up close and they don't make any sense. He wants things to work, imagines them working, and they do - so if he hasn't found a way to get us back yet when it's the thing he wants more than anything else I just can't imagine it ever happening. I used to try to get him to take a break; partly because we were afraid of what he would do next and partly because I felt bad for him. I asked him over and over to meet us there at night by where Tom left his toe and relax for once, but Finny just keeps on inventing.

7 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 29, 2009

    I don't have a good feeling for how big the oval of land is that got teleported. At first I thought it was just the area around the teleporter, but now it seems like it was a five mile radius, but that doesn't make sense since both teleporters are part of the floating oval now, one on each end. I think I understand that his brother was left behind though, only his toe being teleported while everyone else was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. The idea I was going for was that the teleporter pads are five miles apart and what got teleported was the pads themselves and the land between them. So, draw an oval and at each narrow end there's a teleporter platform.

    I'll look at this again once I have some distance and see if I can make it clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 30, 2009

    Ah, I see what you were going for. Insipred! Something about the focal points of an ellipse and its eccentricity would help explain this without overtly explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You call it an island, and I assumed at first that it had water around it, but I realize now that you never mention any water. Are they floating in the sky somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... this is for sure one that needs some re-writing to clarify some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this story, even in its current state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not change this story. A good story leaves space for the readers mind to fill in. By the end I understood enough to fill in the gaps to complete the story, at least so much as I understood it. If you filled in all the details we wouldn't have so much to discuss and debate, and it would be boring.

    ReplyDelete