Saturday, August 8, 2009

Daily Story 115: The Life and Times of Onion Boy



Omegle conversation log 2009-08-10
Connecting to server...
You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
A word of advice: "asl" is boring. Please find something more interesting to talk about!


Stranger: hi

You: Hello there!
You: I just wanted you to know that, personally, I'm not a big fan of onions.
You: I think it's the texture; the crunchiness.

Stranger: ok

You: I'm glad you approve.
You: That being said, however, I DO have a whole truckload of onions I'm scheduled to eat tonight.
You: It's for a contest.
You: I have to eat forty pounds of onions, in a single day.
You: The first prize is forty more pounds of onions.
You: Which I suppose doesn't sound like a good prize.
You: But you have to do what you can in this economy.

Stranger: oh

You: Yeah.

Stranger: where are you from

You: Originally I'm not sure; I was found on the doorstep of a houseboat. Abandoned by my parents.
You: After that we moved a lot.
You: See, the houseboat's rudder was broken.
You: So we just drifted.
You: We went all down the east coast of the Americas.
You: And then around the bottom, where we stopped briefly to pet some penguins.
You: By the time I was a teenager we had made it back up the other side.
You: I swam to shore one day after a fight.
You: And that evening the houseboat drifted off to the open ocean.
You: I never saw my adopted parents again.

Stranger: you are very outgoing

You: Well, I have to be. I work in the entertainment industry.
You: The circus, to be specific.
You: I used to perform, but they got angry because that wasn't technically my job.
You: I would just run out into the center ring and start to dance.
You: So now they have me in the back.
You: Washing out the elephant cages.
You: But you have to be outgoing, to get noticed.
You: And to get an act of your own.
You: Also it helps to know how to juggle things that are on fire.
You: And they don't pay me much to do the elephant cages, which is why I have to win that onion contest.
You: Someday I'll get back out there, maybe juggling onions or flaming swords or something.
You: Or just dancing some more, though nobody seemed to like that much.

Stranger: are you American?

You: I am. I mean, I suppose that I am. I don't have a valid birth certificate but I was almost certainly born in America.
You: Or at least in American waters.
You: And I live on the road now, but exclusively in America.
You: They won't let our circus into Canada anymore, ever after the incident.
You: It involved an escaped bear.
You: He rode all over Toronto on his unicycle, biting tourists.

Stranger: do you know chinese?

You: I don't, no. I wouldn't mind learning but it seems really hard.
You: I mean, English is a TERRIBLE language but it's easy because I've always spoken it.
You: That, and pig-latin.
You: Though I picked up pig-latin really quickly, so I must have an ear for languages.
You: So I guess I should try Chineese.
You: There's more than one dialect, right?
You: I hear Mandarin is the most common.
You: I guess I would go for that.
You: My Aunt visited us on the house boat once, she spoke Chinese.
You: I wish I had understood her.
You: She told people how they would die, but of course I have no idea what she said to me.
You: She was always right, you know.
You: Even about herself.
You: She said she would die from falling off of a building in a rainstorm.
You: As it turned out the building in question was sucked up by a tornado.

Stranger: .................

You: And then she fell off.

Stranger: in fact,i can't speak English very well

You: Oh, I hope I'm not confusing you too much.
You: I hear I can be quite confusing.
You: Though I guess that it's good I'm typing rather than talking.
You: Because my mouth is full of onions.
You: So I would be especially hard to understand right now.

Stranger: how do you like china?

You: I don't know a lot about it, actually.
You: I mean, I know that it's huge and has a lot of people.
You: And I know that it's increasingly important in the global economy.
You: And I've heard some bad things about cencorship there.
You: But that's a lot of places.
You: And I thing they might have faked some birth certificates to get people into the Olympics.
You: But I don't know, and it doesn't really bother me that much.
You: Certainly I would make a fake birth certificate if I could use it to get an act in the circus.
You: Because these elephants suck.

3 comments:

  1. A few notes on this one:

    1. This was done at Omegle, where you can chat with total strangers.

    2. I just started typing. Nothing at all was planned out even two seconds before I wrote it - it is complete stream of consciousness.

    3. The conversation went on a little longer, but it got serious after that. He said he lives in the area where that big earthquake was, and how he's actually pretty lucky because he was totally okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, sir, are the funniest human ever.

    ReplyDelete