Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Story 222: Not From This Neighborhood

"Continue on. North 40th Street. For point four. Miles. Then, prepare to turn right."
Pete sighed. He reached forward and put the car into park, then turned off the ignition.
"Turn right on... Recalculating route."

Emma smiled. "Looks like we missed our turn." She gave a little half-laugh, but it was forced and when Pete didn't react she let the smile fall from her face.  The GPS, meanwhile, seemed to be having some trouble deciding what to do next.
"You are not on a road," the robotic voice helpfully suggested.  Emma stuck her head out of the window and looked down at the trees of the park drifting by below.  'not on a road' was understating it just a bit.

Pete rubbed his temples. "Em, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say. I wish I could say this is the worst first date ever, but honestly this is just about par for the course."
"Nonsense."  Emma reclined her seat so she could reach into the back. "We still have the picnic basket, let's just make the best of it. You know, hot air balloon rides are supposed to be super romantic. That's essentially what this is."

"Continue on. North 45th street. For... recalculating route."
Pete turned the GPS off and took the basket from Emma. "Thanks.  I just wish I could date like normal people.  I wish my parents weren't so racist."
Sticking her head out the window again, Emma looked up at the flying saucer. "Yeah. Um... they'll put us down eventually, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment